Saturday, September 13, 2008

post number 1

One week of field training left. And I am done. Out on my own. Doomed to drive a worn out line unit for an unknown amount of time. And I couldn't be more excited about it. It's been a long 6 months to get here.

idiot of the week
I'm going to try a weekly little bit here and share a little ray of brilliance I encounter in one way or another.
This weeks story starts while helping another new officer book a gentleman into our jail. The charge: Theft by Recieving.

I was told he had been driving a vehicle with a stolen license plate. And the vehicle? A brand new Toyota Camry he was "test driving". So I ask him what the deal is. "It came that way from the dealership! They were closed when I went to take it back." I asked him if he really thought I would believe a dealership would put a stolen tag on a brand new car and then lock up before they had it back. I've felt with some shady dealerships, but none that bad. It's bad business to have your customers arrested. He just stared at me and the other officer told me had a business card with him with a salespersons number who said the car bad no plate on it. And that he was supposed to have returned the car 14 hours earlier (it was 2am at the time of booking).

I was then told I should ask him what he was on probation for. Response? "I'm not on probation for anything yet. I just got out of jail last night." What for? "I stole a car. Did 6 months." I guess you're going back, huh? He just stared at the ground.

6 comments:

wendy said...

I love you, johnny.

Sadie said...

Hi John.

Anonymous said...

new blog name... same blog.

jasmineandgarrett.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of police work. You should enter him into Dumbest Criminals.

wendy said...

thank you for the strawberry donut this morning. You're the bestest friend I know :)

Sadie said...

John you should totally become a cliche cop and do nothing but eat donuts all day, getting so fat that you could never hope to chase a criminal without having a heart attack.
If you did that I would officially make you one of my heroes on myspace.
What do you think of that?